National Webinar held July 30, 2015; Learning Exchange held August 5, 2015
This webinar shares the conceptual framework, essential components and functions of competency-based training systems. Presenters explain how the Ohio Child Welfare Training Program, established in 1985, uses competencies as the cornerstone of its training system and has evolved to use them in conjunction with core learning objectives and training transfer indicators to measure training effectiveness and support supervisors in encouraging transfer of learning.
Presenters demonstrate an online survey process for gathering individual and aggregate training needs, and using them along with child welfare competencies to create Individual Development Plans. They also explain how competencies can:
- Be used during key informant discussions with agency supervisors, managers and directors to pinpoint specific training needs;
- Help explain specific training needs to trainers;
- Be incorporated into trainer observation processes;
- Support learning objectives that can be incorporated into workshop-specific training evaluations;
- Inform training transfer indicators to help supervisors assess the degree to which transfer of learning has occurred, and determine the need for additional knowledge or skill development.
They share the steps involved in creating and implementing Ohio’s competency-based training system; strategies, tips and tools; and, lessons learned, public agency experiences, and efforts to expand effectiveness and impact going forward. On the follow-up learning exchange, participants hear about Rhode Island’s experience with their own competency-based individual learning needs assessment survey.
Presenters Include: Nan Beeler, Christina Carter, and Kyle Hoffman, Institute for Human Services; Melissa Palmer, Franklin County Children Services; and, Sheila Shafer & Kristin Waltz, Athens County Children Services. Learning Exchange presenters include: Carol Fox, RI Department of Children, Youth and Families, and Lori Herz, University of Rhode Island Center for Human Services.
- Webinar Recording
- Learning Exchange Recording
- Webinar MP3 (audio only)
- Learning Exchange MP3 (audio only)
Handouts & Resources:
- Webinar PowerPoint Slides (with notes)
- OH Learn More Handout
- Learning Exchange PowerPoint Slides
- Rhode Island - Professional Development: Individual Learning Needs Survey and Planning
- Rhode Island - Field Experience Checklist
- Rhode Island Competencies and Assessment